Thursday, February 23, 2012

Why blog?

My 9 year old son David was recently diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, a diagnosis which falls on the Autism spectrum. The past year has been really rough, and while we have always thought of David a quirky, the diagnosis has at times been hard to swallow. Being a mental health therapist myself, I have had to work with many clients diagnosed with Autism Spectrum disorders throughout the years. This said, a diagnosis is never more real than when you have to deal with it at home. So after thinking about it for the last couple of months, I have decided to blog about our family's journey through the maze of doctors, therapists, school IEPs, and all the other crap a family deals with when you have a child diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder. I by NO means consider myself an expert. I am merely a mom who needs an outlet so I don't go crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment